Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Step 4 Truth

KEY PRINCIPLE: Make a searching and fearless written moral inventory of yourself.

I don't have much to offer about this step beyond what is said in the book.

"If the thought of making a searching and fearless inventory of yourself feels overwhelming, know you are not alone. Our hearts go out to you. We remember our struggles to find the willingness to complete this step. Many of us wondered if we might skip step 4 entirely and still overcome our addictions. Eventually we had to believe the words of those who went before us: “Without a searching and fearless moral inventory, . . . the faith which really works in daily living is still out of
reach” (Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions [1981], 43).
Addiction crippled our ability to reflect honestly about our lives. It limited our ability to understand the damage and havoc—the liabilities—it caused in all our relationships. Before we could confidently rely on the Savior, we needed a framework through which He could help us sort out our past honestly. Step 4 provided that framework; it was the “vigorous and painstaking effort to discover what these liabilities in each of us have been, and are” ( Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, 42).
The inventory was also a step in helping us align our lives with the will of God. Through this inventory, we identified negative thoughts, emotions, and actions that ruled our lives. By discovering those destructive elements in our lives, we took the first step toward correcting them. Doing an inventory was difficult, but this step opened the door to the additional faith and hope we needed to continue our recoveries and overcome addiction."

I'll turn in my 'man-card' and admit I cried during this process and it is intimidating. This was my third time sitting down and saying I am going to do this. Personally I just made a list of all the things that came to mind that happened in my life good and bad, from Graduating High School to serving a mission to encounters with my addiction. After making a list I wrote what I felt during those times. After I looked at my lists and noticed some correlations between things I did and when I really felt happy and made a list of all of the sorts of things that happened in my life that made me feel happy. I then made a list of what lead me to make mistakes whether it be succumbing to my addiction or trying to hide it from others. I then decided to make a mission statement. I used this site to help me brainstorm and it does ask a lot of good questions to get the juices flowing, from that I added, cut, and reworded things to create something unique and my own.


I am a son of God and as such I have a limitless potential, but like a child I am not perfect.
I will use my talents for the benefit of others.
I will show others the reason for my hope.
I will be like the shepherd who seeks out the lost, hurt and downtrodden.
I will have the pure love of Christ for all people.
I will give time, an open heart and listening ear to all those who ask.
I will embrace God's plans for my life through the development of persistence, courage and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment